How to Get Help

Crisis Services

Crisis Services, Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

Help for Alcohol and Drug Problems

The Division of Behavioral Health has programs around the state to help people with alcohol and drug problems. There are programs for children, teenagers, and adults. If you or a loved one has a problem with alcohol or drugs, you can contact a treatment program for help. They can help you get the services you or a loved one needs.

If you would like more information, please phone us at (573) 751-4942 or (800) 575-7480 or you may e-mail us at

For more information on how to find quality treatment for a substance use disorder and steps to accessing treatment:

SAMHSA - Finding Quality Treatment for Substance Use Disorders

Help for Adolescents

There are special programs to help children and youth between the ages of 12 and 17 who have an alcohol or drug problem. Minors can be signed into a program by their parents or guardians. In some cases they will placed in treatment by Youth Services, Children’s Services, or by the courts.

Help for Women

There are programs around the state that serve women only. For those programs offering residential services, women can bring their young children into services with them. Women often have other serious problems in their lives besides alcohol and drug use. They need special help to deal with these problems. Women who are pregnant, have a newborn, or have children living with them have first priority to get help from these programs.

Help for Adults

A wide array of clinical treatment services for adults are located across the state. Multiple levels of care and comprehensive service packages are available to provide Missourians with access to treatment and to assist them in achieving and maintaining recovery from alcohol and drugs. Treatment routinely includes assessment, individual and group counseling, family counseling, education, participation in self-help groups, and other structured, therapeutic measures. Detoxification and residential support services are offered for those who need a safe, drug-free environment early in the treatment process.

Medication Assisted Treatment

All DBH certified and contracted adult treatment programs offer, or can arrange for, medication assisted treatment. FDA-approved medications specifically for people dependent on alcohol, heroin or other drugs containing opiates are now available. The medication makes withdrawal easier and helps stop cravings, which can help people get more benefits from their counseling treatment services.

Help for Opioid Dependence

These specialty medication-assisted treatment programs are designed for medically-supervised withdrawal from heroin and other opiate drugs, followed by ongoing treatment and rehabilitation for addiction and related life problems. Priority admission is given to women who are pregnant and persons who are HIV positive. Missouri's opioid treatment programs meet required federal guidelines.

Directory of Certified Providers

This is a list of all Division of Behavioral Health Certified providers. This alphabetical listing includes contracted and non-contracted alcohol and drug treatment providers and psychiatric services providers.

National Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) maintains a web based tool to locate Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities near any location in the United States.

Civil Involuntary Detention

Missouri Statutes, Chapter 632 RSMo, provide the statutory authority to allow involuntary treatment under certain conditions with appropriate due process. This process is called Civil Involuntary Detention. Individuals who have substance use disorders may be unable to make decisions about caring for their basic human needs such as food, shelter, and medical care. Substance use disorders may also place a person in danger of hurting themselves or others.

Substance Awareness Traffic Offenders Program (SATOP)

Have you have lost your driver’s license because of an alcohol or drug related traffic offense? You might be required to complete a SATOP program. SATOP stands for Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program. By law, you must successfully complete a SATOP program before your license can be reissued to you through the Department of Revenue.

Compulsive Gambling Treatment Services

The Division of Behavioral Health (DBH), administers outpatient treatment services throughout Missouri for compulsive gamblers and their families. Treatment services are funded through fees collected from Missouri’s casino properties. Contracted agencies employing counselors specially trained to treat gambling problems offer such services free of charge.