Northwest Missouri Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center is a Department of Mental Health psychiatric hospital for chronically mentally ill adults. We have 108 beds. A large percentage of our patients are forensic, meaning court committed.
The hospital’s mission is:
To provide high quality hospital treatment for Missouri residents with severe mental illness whose treatment and recovery are further complicated by legal issues and/or whose illness has been resistant to treatment. To assist and prepare patients for their re-entry into the community, while maintaining their individual safety and that of the general public.
All perspective candidates will require affiliation agreements with their academic institutions.
Accepts a limited number of undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral practicum students.
All students will receive supervision as required by their placement guidelines. Depending upon the student’s level of experience, interests, and needs, opportunities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participation in an interdisciplinary treatment team
- Observing or co-leading Evidenced Based Treatment Groups (DBT, Safe Offender Strategies, Illness Management & Recovery)
- Observing or co-leading Substance Use Treatment groups
- Observing or co-providing individual therapy with patients with a variety of presenting problems and diagnoses
- Participation in a DBT Consultation Team
- Observing and/or participating in Forensic Evaluations and Psychological Evaluations
You may contact Dr. Heather McMahon @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepts bachelor (BSW) and master level (MSW) students. Opportunities include:
- Individual and group therapy
- Illness Management and Recovery
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Substance Abuse Services
- Therapy with Individuals with Sex Offender Behaviors
- Discharge Planning and Guardianship Petitions
You may contact Hope Turner @ email@example.com
Accepts undergraduate level students. Opportunities include:
- Learning the assessment process and how to identify recommendations for treatment services.
- Observing psycho-educational, wellness, leisure and recreation groups based on treatment recommendations.
- Observing a variety of treatment groups with other disciplines.
- Planning and providing special events, treatment groups, outings, and a variety of leisure activities for patients with a mental illness.
You may contact Kassie Cronk @ firstname.lastname@example.org