Northwest Missouri Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center is a Department of Mental Health long term, psychiatric hospital for chronically mentally ill adults. We have 108 beds. A large percentage of our patients are forensic, meaning court committed. The majority of these are men.
The hospital’s mission is:
To provide high quality hospital treatment for Missouri residents with severe mental illness whose treatment and recovery are further complicated by legal issues and/or whose illness has been resistant to treatment. To assist and prepare patients for their re-entry into the community, while maintaining their individual safety and that of the general public.
All perspective candidates will require affiliation agreements with their academic institutions.
Accepts a limited number of undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral practicum students.
All students will receive at least one hour of supervision per week. Depending upon the student’s level of experience, interests, and needs, opportunities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participation in a multidisciplinary treatment team
- Co-leading Evidenced Based Treatment Groups (DBT, TruThought, Safe Offender Strategies, Illness Management & Recovery)
- Co-leading Substance Abuse Treatment groups and Competency Education groups
- Providing or co-providing individual therapy with patients with a variety of presenting problems and diagnoses
- Participation in a DBT Consultation Team
- Observing and/or participating in Forensic Evaluations and Psychological Evaluations
You may contact Dr. Tara Tubbesing @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepts master level (MSW) students. Opportunities include:
- Individual and group therapy
- Illness Management and Recovery
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TruThought)
- Substance Abuse Services
- Competency Restoration Services (education)
- Sex Offender Therapies
You may contact Hope Turner @ email@example.com
Accepts undergraduate level students. Opportunities include:
- Learning the assessment process and how to identify recommendations for treatment services.
- Leading psycho-educational, wellness, leisure and recreation groups based on treatment recommendations.
- Co-leading a variety of treatment groups with other disciplines.
- Planning and providing special events, treatment groups, outings, and a variety of leisure activities for patients with a mental illness.
You may contact Whitney Stock @ firstname.lastname@example.org