To qualify for the QMB/SLMB program, applicants must meet three general eligibility requirements:
- Be enrolled in Part A Medicare (Hospital Insurance)
- Have resources not exceeding the QMB/SLMB resource maximums for an individual or couple. Refer to the Aged, Blind and Disabled Income and Asset Limit chart for current resource amounts.
- Have income not exceeding the QMB/SLMB standard of the Federal Poverty Level for the assistance group size
There are three programs which pay for Medicare Part B premiums:
- QMB: This program can be active at the same time as MO HealthNet insurance and is for people with income that does not exceed 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). This program covers Medicare premiums and makes payments to medical providers for coinsurance and deductibles for Medicare services.
- SLMB1: (also called Group 1) This program can be active at the same time as MO HealthNet insurance and is for people with income more than 100% of the FPL but not exceed 120% of the FPL. This program covers Medicare Part B premiums only.
- SLMB2: (also called Group 2) This program cannot be active at the same time as MO HealthNet insurance and is for people between 120%-130%. This program covers Medicare Part B premiums only.
The IM-1 MSP Application for Medicare Savings Programs should be used when only coverage for QMB/SLMB is needed. If the client is applying for MO HealthNet, they can use the standard application to apply for both MO HealthNet and QMB/SLMB.