The Real Voices – Real Choices Consumer Conference is an exciting opportunity for individuals and families living with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and in recovery for substance use disorders. It is a gathering of consumers, family members, friends, self-advocates, and persons in recovery who come together to learn about programs, service issues, opportunities, and self-advocacy. It’s about fostering growth and empowerment, as well as finding the tools to be successful in the community. Annually, hundreds gather for this very empowering conference.
This conference is co-hosted by the Department of Mental Health and the Missouri Mental Health Foundation. Additional information can be found at the Missouri Mental Health Foundation website.
August 30, 2020 - September 1, 2020
Margaritaville Lake Resort
494 Tan Tar A Estate Drive
Osage Beach, MO 65065
If there are any questions, comments, or suggestions for the Real Voices - Real Choices Consumer Conference, please contact us at: ConsumerConference@dmh.mo.gov. Like us on Facebook for updates on the Real Voices - Real Choices Consumer Conference.
- Call for Presentations
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS TO PRESENT!
The Conference Planning Committee is accepting workshop presentation applications for the 12th annual Real Voices Real Choices Conference. Self-advocates, persons in recovery, family members, and mental health professionals (who have lived experience) are encouraged to submit an application. The planning committee would like to have exciting, inspiring and interactive presentations that will empower attendees to take action that will improve their lives. Each year the committee receives a variety of topics and presentations. This year, the committee would especially like to see dynamic presentations that encourage active attendee participation - not just listening to a presenter speak for an hour.
The 2020 conference will still have the presentation tracks that include:
- Developmental Disability
- Family and Youth
- Mental Illness
- Substance Use Disorder
Presenters will have to identify which track their presentation falls under. This will ensure that everyone understands the target audience of the presentation they have chosen to attend. If you are unable to pick one, please explain your reasoning and the committee will assist.
Please have the following information ready when you register for your workshop. You will only have 60 minutes to complete the presentation form.
- Personal information (name, address, phone number, email address, etc...)
- Presentation title
- Presenter's names
- Three references that have seen you present
- Presentation overview (this will be included in the conference program booklet)
- Seven points that your presentation will highlight
- The track the presentation falls under
These fields are required on the form and you will not be able to complete the presentation registration without them. Remember, you have 60 minutes to enter all this information. Thank you very much for your participation and we look forward to hearing about your presentation!
Deadline to Submit Presentations is 5:00 p.m. on March 5, 2020!
Ideas for Presentations
- Staying Organized
- Suicide Prevention
- Young Adult and Guardianship Consent
- Family and Youth Engagement
- How to Get a Job
- Social Skills
- Specific Disorders
- Service Dog Etiquette
- Deaf Culture
- How LGBTQ Affects Mental Health
- Social Opportunities for those with Mental Illness
- How to Make and Keep Friends
- Facing Fear
- Human Trafficking
- How to get Motivated
- Abuse (elder and child)
- Coping with Stress
- Childhood Trauma
- Peer Specialist Classes
- Healing from Trauma and Abuse
- How to get along with People
- Aging and Mental Illness
- Communication Skills
- Anger Management
- Adult ADHD
- Expressing yourself through Art
- Dealing with Hotline Calls as a Parent
- Juvenile Justice System
- Public Speaking Class
- Pet Therapy
- Family Interactions
- Health and Exercise
- Voting Process
- How to get Involved
- Crisis Intervention Training (CIT)
- Music Therapy
- Physical Disability with Mental Illness
- Organizing a Committee
- Substance Use and Mental Health Co-occurring
Scholarship application submissions open on March 11, 2020.
The submission deadline for applications is April 15, 2020.
The Real Voices Real Choices Consumer Conference has sponsorship opportunities available! All sponsorship opportunities will include a minimum of:
- Recognition on the conference website and social media
- Logo/listing in the conference program booklet - approximately 1,000 printed
There are five different sponsorship levels available, each with various benefits. A benefit package can also be customized if you have specific needs for your sponsorship dollars.
Sponsor commitment deadline is April 1, 2020 (payment due at the time of commitment).
Please note: Sponsorship opportunities will still be available after April 1, 2020; however, due to printing deadlines we cannot guarantee that your logo/listing will be included on printed materials.
The 2020 RVRC Planning Committee is currently seeking exhibitors for the upcoming conference. We hope to have another incredible line up of organizations again this year. Don’t miss your opportunity to sign up and provide information to our attendees about the products and services your organization has to offer!
- Exhibits will be located in Windgate Hall.
- Exhibit Hours:
2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Sunday, August 30
7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday, August 31
7:30 a.m. to 10:10 a.m., Tuesday, September 1
- Exhibits consist of an 8’ x 10’ space with pipe and drapes, one six foot draped and skirted table, two chairs, an identification sign, and a wastebasket.
- No food or beverages allowed in the exhibit area for purchasing.
- All participants receive an exhibitor check off list to be initialed at each booth in order for entry into a drawing for a chance to win door prizes offered by exhibitors.
- Two meal vouchers provided for agency representatives to include all meals provided by the conference. Hotel rooms are at the exhibitor’s expense.
- Exhibits will be located in Windgate Hall.
Registration will open on May 1, 2020.
If you would like to receive the monthly newsletter, please email: ConsumerConference@dmh.mo.gov.