Center for Behavioral Medicine (CBM) formerly Western Missouri Mental Health Center is an agency for the Department of Mental Health. The facility is located on Hospital Hill in the heart of Kansas City and provides comprehensive psychiatric care to patients from Kansas City and the seven surrounding counties. CBM serves as one of the major training sites for the University of Missouri-Kansas City's Department of Psychiatry, fulfilling academic and research needs. In January 2004, WMMHC moved into a new 230,000 square foot, 5-story facility.
CBM currently operates 65 adult acute beds and 25 adult residential beds. CBM operates three group homes in the community.
CBM serves the Greater Kansas City, Missouri area and surrounding counties with intensive and specialized behavioral health treatments. The Center focuses its services on bridging the gap between physical and behavioral medicine with an emphasis on wellness. Students, residents, and post-doctoral fellows are trained at CBM to deliver integrated physical and behavioral health care. The Center provides a therapeutic approach to recovery that assists individuals to progress regardless of their limitations or symptoms. CBM utilizes evidence based diagnostic and therapeutic modalities in a holistic approach to patient treatment.
- Sixty Five Joint Commission accredited and CMS certified hospital beds
- 25 Joint Commission accredited and waiver certified residential group home beds
- Staffed by faculty physicians, faculty psychologists, nurses, faculty pharmacists, social workers, psychiatric technicians and rehabilitation therapists.
- Admissions are limited to patients who qualify according to RsMo….. who are in need of competency restoration and aggressive inpatient treatment.
- CBM’s aftercare planning involves the patient/guardian, families and the Missouri State Department of Mental Health system of community mental health centers.
The Administrative Department consists of the senior leadership of this organization. It has the overall responsibility to ensure that the goals of the organization are met. Specifically, these goals are:
- Provision of innovative active treatment through an interdisciplinary team that meets or exceeds the needs of our patients.
- Provide care regardless of ability to pay.
- Develop a performance improvement program where employees are valued and encouraged to be participative and fiscally responsible.
- Contribute to the care of severely mentally ill individuals through clinical research.
- Enhance student/training affiliations to become a Center of Excellence in the care of the mentally ill.
In addition to the above goals, more specific departmental goals and objectives are developed and implemented yearly.