Links to Other Suicide Prevention Resources
- Access Crisis Intervention (ACI) Hotlines - Toll-free ACI Hotline numbers.
- Betsoff (Statewide) - Problem Gambler’s Hotline: 1-888-BETSOFF (1-888-238-7633).
- Boys Town National Hotline - Offers a 24 hour Nationwide hotline providing short-term counseling and crisis intervention to children and families experiencing any type of difficulty in their lives: 1-800-448-3000
- Copline - A national hotline run by retired law enforcement officers for active officers and their families: 1-800-COPLINE
- Deafline Missouri (Statewide) - A crisis hotline for Deaf and Hard of hearing individuals - 1-800-380-DEAF (3323) (Voice/TTY)
- Friendship Line - The Center for Elderly Suicide Prevention and Grief Counseling offers the only nation-wide toll free number offering telephone support to depressed, isolated, abused, and/or suicidal older adults. 1-800-971-0016.
- Life Crisis Services (St. Louis area): Call 314-647-HELP
- National Graduate Student Crisis Line - Call 1-877-GRAD-HLP (1-877-4723-475)
- National Hopeline Network - 1-800-442-HOPE (4673)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Calls to the Lifeline are routed to the closest possible crisis center to provide immediate assistance. Call for yourself, or someone you care about: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- NFL Life Line - A resource for current and former NFL players, coaches, team and league staff, and their family members: 1-800-506-0078.
- Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222
- Rainbow Youth Hotline (Statewide) Call 1-877-LGBT-YTH, (1-877-542-8984) - 24 hours Missouri hotline for youth between 15 and 24 who are struggling with suicide, depression, sexual orientation, gender identity and other issues. Others who are interested in supporting LGBTQ youth, such as parents, teachers, counselors, and friends are also encouraged to call.
- The Trevor Helpline – Offers a national 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention hotline aimed at gay and questioning youth and young adults: 1-866-4U-TREVOR
- Youth America Hotline - YAH is the first and only toll free, national peer to peer hotline network linking callers to local community based peer counseling hotlines: 1-877-YOUTHLINE (968-8454)
Mental Health & Consumer Organizations
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance - Includes a sample "Plan for Life".
- Mental Health American of Eastern Missouri
- Mental Health Association of the Heartland
- Missouri Coalition of Community Behavioral Healthcare (Statewide)
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
National Organizations (Advocacy, Education, Research, etc.)
- American Association of Suicidology
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Kristin Brooks Hope Center - Operates the National Hopeline Network.
- International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP)
- National Organization for People of Color to Prevent Suicide
- National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- SAVE - Suicide Awareness Voices of Education - SAVE educates individuals about depression and suicide. Leaders in education and advocacy.
- Suicide Information and Education Center (SIEC), suicide information resource center and library. SIEC holds the world's largest English language collection on suicidal behaviors, containing more than 26,000 print and audio/visual materials covering all aspects of suicidal behavior.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) - Provides technical assistance, training, and information in order to strengthen prevention networks and advance the National Strategy.
- Surgeon General's Call to Prevent Suicide, July 1999
- The World Health Organization - Offers international data and research summaries.
Online Information, Screening and Help
- Befrienders International/Samaritans - An online resource that gives support through e-mail and offers a directory of local crisis helplines.
- Depression Test
- MayoClinic.com - Take the depression self-assessment and create a personal depression manager.
- Screening for Mental Health - Resources include the SOS Suicide Prevention Program and the Mental Health Self-Assessment Program for military service members and their families.
Resources for Youth, Parents, and Schools
- After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools
- DESE Model School Policy: Suicide Prevention and Awareness
- CHADS Coalition for Mental Health (St. Louis) - Community Healing Adolescent Depression and Suicide (CHADS)
- The Jason Foundation - National group offering the "Promise for Tomorrow" program
- The Jed Foundation - Provides a number of useful mental health screening tools and relevant information for potentially at-risk young adults.
- National Resource Center for Mental Health Promotion and Youth Violence Prevention
- Not My Kid - Resources for parents
- ParentLink (Statewide) - Has a toll-free "WarmLine" for parents and professionals to help answer any parenting questions or concerns. Toll-free #'s are 1-800-552-8522 or En Espanol 1-888-460-0008.
- Suicide Prevention in Higher Education (Statewide) - Partners in Prevention, a statewide coalition focused on the prevention needs of Missouri college students
Survivor Support Groups:
- AAS Support Group Page - Search for support groups in the United States
- AFSP Missouri Survivor Group Page (Statewide) - List of known support groups in Missouri.
- Compassionate Friends - Offers grief support for families following the death of a child of any age.
- Grief Share Recovery Support Group - Search for a group near you.
- Living With Suicide - Shared experiences and voices of loss.
- Suicide Awareness Survivor Support (the Kansas City area)
- Survivors of Suicide
- The Link's National Resource Center for Suicide Prevention and Aftercare
- Unmasking Suicide (St. Louis)
Training and Education
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) - From Living Works Education.
- Pharmacists Preventing Suicides - A Missouri based organization focused on education, research, training, and lobbying.
- SPRC Training Institute - The SPRC Training Institute provides an ever-expanding array of curricula designed to build capacity for suicide prevention in state, tribal, local, and community-based organizations.
- QPR Institute - The web site includes a free downloadable version of the book "Suicide: The Forever Decision."
Resources for Healthcare Providers
To suggest a resource be included on this web site, or to notify DMH of a broken link, please send an email to Department of Mental Health.