Consumer Operated Service Programs
Consumer-operated services programs (COSP) are peer-run service programs that are administratively controlled and operated by mental health consumers and emphasize self-help as their operational approach.
Drop-In Centers are a safe place where consumers can go to find recovery programs and services provided by their peers. They offer a wide variety of services including recovery focused support groups, life enhancement skills, goal setting, problem solving, computer and internet access as well as socialization with others in recovery. Anyone with a mental health diagnosis or who is or has experienced symptoms of a mental illness is welcome to participate in services. All services are self-directed and free of charge.
Warm Lines offer safe, confidential telephone support provided by peers in recovery from mental illness. Peer responders are available to assist individuals with non-crisis mental health issues. They provide assistance in problem solving, goal setting, conflict resolution, and coping skills. They also provide resources and referrals to other agencies providing services including housing, food banks, transportation, professional counseling and crisis management.
Consumer Operated Service Program Information
- Video - Mark Stringer, Former Director of Division of Behavioral Health, talks about Consumer Operated Service Programs
- Consumer Operated Service Program brochure
- Consumer Operated Service Program Webinar - an overview of the Drop-in Centers and Warm Lines in MIssouri
- Consumer Operated Service Program Fact Sheet
- The National Dialogue on Mental Health has created a new website that includes information and stories of hope and recovery.
Recovery Services Specialist
Peer Services Program Specialist
Director of Recovery Services
Links to Helpful Resources
- Consumer Operated Service Programs Evidence Based Practice Toolkit
- PowerPoint presentation
- Peer Specialist website - Information about the Missouri Certified Peer Specialist training program
- Supported Employment - Information and resources about Missouri’s supported employment efforts
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan - Wellness Recovery Action Plan information and resources