DMH's Rental Assistance Program (RAP) is a state-funded housing assistance program that has two primary functions, as described below. As of August 1, 2018, funding is currently available.

One-Time Assistance

RAP provides one-time payments to prevent eviction, restore housing stability, or assist households to move into safe and affordable rental housing. RAP pays for:

--Rental Costs:

  • Overdue rent owed to an owner/landlord, property management company, or public housing agency; or
  • Move-in costs, including security deposit, first month's rent, and other costs required to move in such as a cleaning deposit, etc.

--Utility Costs:

  • Utility deposits to establish essential utility services (gas, electric, water, sewer);
  • Overdue utility bills up to a maximum of $350 (larger amounts considered case-by-case)

--Other costs directly related to preserving or accessing stable housing (considered case-by-case)

RAP does not pay for costs associated with home ownership or mortgages; court costs or legal fees; or rental costs that cannot be documented, such as in the absence of a written lease or contract.

To be considered eligible, a person in the household:

  • Must be actively receiving support services for a mental illness, a substance use disorder, or a dual diagnosis of the two from a DMH-contracted provider agency (not necessarily in connection with a disabling condition).
  • Must be in an unstable housing situation that can be stabilized by one-time assistance (late rent, notice to vacate received, a pending eviction, etc.); or a situation that could be improved by moving into safer and more affordable rental housing (current rent cannot be sustained, housing is substandard, homeless and cannot afford move-in costs, etc.).
  • Must have a combined household income of no more than 50% of the Area Median Income.
  • Must, in general, have enough combined household income to rent on their own once the housing situation is stabilized.

Applications must come from a community support worker or other employee of a DMH-contracted service provider involved in providing community support services.  That person and the Head of Household fill out the application jointly. Applications cannot be accepted directly from persons in need of assistance. Non-DMH agencies can submit one-time assistance applications, but the household must have a person actively engaged in DMH services.

Payment timeline: RAP one-time assistance is not emergency assistance, and cannot be arranged overnight. DMH strives to process all applications within 1-2 weeks of receipt, but the volume of requests may prevent this. Please be patient, and seek out other resources while waiting.

Project-Based Rental Assistance

DMH contracts with support service providers around the state to provide rental assistance in supportive housing projects operated by these agencies. Some of the agencies are engaged in providing recovery support housing, while others provide supportive housing for persons with mental illness or dual diagnoses. Each agency has its own eligibility criteria for accessing their housing programs, but in general, applicants must be either receiving support services from the agency itself or from another DMH-contracted service provider.

DMH does not process applications for these housing programs. Contact the individual agency for eligibility information:

Amethyst Place, Kansas City. 816-231-8782

Compass Health Network, Clinton. 660-885-8131

Preferred Family Healthcare, Kirksville (Chloe Place Apartments, Hannibal; and Rauschenbach Place, St. Louis). 660-665-1962