Prevention is a vital aspect of assuring the health and safety for all people. Information on the following web pages will provide readers an opportunity to enhance their knowledge of preventative health care.
The following internet links offer an opportunity to subscribe to publications that are updated on a regular basis:
- Developmental Disabilities and Oral Health
- The series of publications, Practical Oral Care for People With Developmental Disabilities, equips dental professionals in the community with the basic information they need to deliver quality oral health care to people with special needs. The publications present an overview of physical, mental, and behavioral challenges common in patients with autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, and mental retardation and offer strategies for providing oral care. Also available are a guide for caregivers that explains home-based oral hygiene for the family member or client with special needs and a publication on safe wheelchair transfer. A two-credit-hour continuing education test for dentists and dental hygienists completes the series.
- Elks Dental Program
- A description of the Elks Dental Program in Missouri. MedWatch An Internet gateway for timely safety information on the drugs and other medical products regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- "The Fatal Five": Preventing Preventable Deaths in Community Settings
- Webinar presented by Karen Green McGowan, RN, CDDN. The Fatal Five refers to the top five disorders linked to preventable deaths of individuals in congregate care settings or in community based residential settings. While the issues can differ in order of frequency depending on the population being represented, the five conditions most likely to result in death or health deterioration for persons with Intellectual and Developmental disabilities are:
- Bowel Obstruction
- You will need to have the 'Go To Meeting' codec to view this webinar. You can download it here: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/codec?Portal=www.gotomeeting.com
- MedlinePlus will direct you to information to help answer health questions. MedlinePlus brings together authoritative information from NLM, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other government agencies and health-related organizations. Preformulated MEDLINE searches are included in MedlinePlus and give easy access to medical journal articles. MedlinePlus also has extensive information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive patient tutorials, and latest health news.
- Medscape offers free, continuously updated continuing education activities for physicians and other health professionals and additional resources for medical professionals and patients.