There is an integral link between self-determination and supporting families. Understanding the link between self-determination and supporting families is critical if we are to move forward in our vision that individuals truly have control over their own lives.
Principles of Supporting Families:
- Honor a family’s expertise and their right to make choices that they know to be in their own best interest.
- Respect and accept a family’s values that are based on personal preferences, cultural beliefs, and life-ways
- Support individual and family relationships that are safe and stable and long lasting.
- Focus on the entire family as it is defined by the family.
- Promote flexible service and funding supporting individual and family control over who, what, when, where, and how supports are provided.
- Affirm lifespan planning and self-determination that encourages decision-making and planning for independence beginning within the family when children are young, following the individual throughout their life and including aging issues.
- Assure partnerships which actively include individuals and families in planning, development, implementation and evaluation of polices, practices, and personal programs.
- Practice open communication promoting a clear understanding of all aspects of systems policy, procedure, practice and all other information regarding them.
- Recognize the importance of the community where individuals and families belong and realize their full potential.