No Butts About It
A Survey of Tobacco Use by Consumers of Mental Health Services
The Missouri Foundation for Health granted DMH funding to complete an assessment of tobacco use by consumers of mental health services. The actual survey work was subcontracted to MIMH and conducted during 2008. A total of 586 Missourians receiving services through mental health centers funded by the Department of Mental Health and 177 DMH-contracted psychiatric, substance abuse, and developmental disabilities provider agencies completed surveys on smoking practices. In addition, 345 consumers at three regional DMH developmental disabilities centers took part in the study by completing questionnaires.
Some results include:
- 64% of Missourians who receive psychiatric services and/or alcohol and drug abuse services regularly use tobacco products. This is more than twice the number of the Missouri general adult population (25%). Nine percent of consumers with developmental disabilities reported tobacco use compared with a state rate of 25%.
- The rate of tobacco use among Missouri consumers of mental health services is 20% higher than rates among persons with mental illnesses nationally. It is estimated that persons with mental illnesses consumed around 50% of all tobacco products in the nation.
- 15% of consumers surveyed have quit using tobacco, compared to 50% of the general population nationally.
- 56% of Missouri consumers who regularly use tobacco would like to quit.
The next step is to develop a plan to prevent and reduce tobacco use by consumers. DMH will be notified by May if the Foundation has approved the Department’s proposal for developing a plan in conjunction with the Missouri state tobacco prevention plan.
Details of the No Butts About It assessment are available in the PDF documents listed below.
- Tobacco Use by Missouri Consumers of Mental Health Services
- Review of the Literature on Tobacco Use and Consumers of Mental Health Services
- Developmental Disabilities Tobacco Policies, Practices and Use
- Comprehensive Psychiatric Services and Alcohol and Drug Abuse Tobacco Policies, Practices and Use
- Tobacco Policies and Practices of Mental Health Providers