History

Metropolitan St. Louis Psychiatric Center was dedicated by Governor Mel Carnahan, Mayor Freeman Bosley and other dignitaries on March 29, 1996.

MPC continues the legacy of the Malcolm Bliss Mental Health Center which was dedicated in 1964 as a Missouri Department of Mental Health facility. MPC courtyard

Malcolm Bliss Mental Health Center succeeded the Malcolm Bliss Psychopathic Institute founded in 1938 as a hospital of the St. Louis City Hospital System.

Malcolm Andrew Bliss, M.D., D.D.S., was a St. Louis physician who was the driving force in the original creation of our hospital.

We have served the Metropolitan St. Louis community for over 85 years of mental health intervention.