Suicide in Missouri
The following documents and resources help provide a picture of the issue of suicide in our state.
Suicide in Missouri: Issue Briefs from the Missouri Institute of Mental Health
- Brief No. 1 - Where We Stand (Updated May 2013)
- Brief No. 2 - Older Adults 65 and Over (Issued December 2012)
- Brief No. 3 - Programs for Prevention (Issued July 2013)
- Brief No. 4 - Counseling on Access to Lethal Means: A Training for Professionals (Issued July 2013)
- Prevention of Suicide in the U.S. (May 2014, SAMHSA's National Prevention Week Toolkit)
- Best Practices in Campus Suicide Prevention (November 2013, Partners in Prevention)
- Missouri College Students and Suicide (February 2013, Partners in Prevention)
- Suicide in Missouri (January 2012, Missouri Behavioral Health Epidemiology Workgroup)
- Missouri Data Fact Sheet (September 2008, Suicide Prevention Resource Center)
- An Evaluation of Counseling on Access to Lethal Means (CALM) Training for Mental Health Providers in Missouri (Missouri Institute of Mental Health) Poster presented at the 47th American Association of Suicidology Annual Conference, April 11, 2014. Winner of the Best Professional Poster Award.
- How to Enhance Suicide Gatekeeper Trainings for Youth: Reducing Barriers to Help Seeking (Missouri Institute of Mental Health) Poster Presented at the American Evaluation Association Annual Meetings, October 24, 2012.
- Are Negative Behaviors a Cry for Help? Results from the 2010 Missouri Student Survey(Missouri Institute of Mental Health) Poster presented at the 44th American Association of Suicidology Annual Conference, April 15, 2011.
- Identification by Trained Gatekeepers of Youth At Risk For Suicide (ICF International and SAMHSA) Poster Presented at the American Public Health Association’s 140th Annual Meeting, October, 28, 2012. For more information see: Abstract
Other Sources of Data:
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services:
- American Association of Suicidology - Provides annual data sheets with a ranking of all states
- Missouri's Child Fatality Review Program (CFRP) Annual Reports
- CDC's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS™)
- Missouri Student Survey
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS)
News from Around the State
Newsletters focused on suicide prevention from the Center for Injury and Violence Prevention at Washington University’s Brown School:
- Taking Flight - Issue 13: Spring 2014 (Bullying and Suicide Among Adolescents)
- Taking Flight - Issue 8: Fall 2012 (Military Service Members and Veterans)
- Taking Flight - Issue 3: Winter 2011 (Suicide Prevention)