Suicide in Missouri
The following documents and resources help provide a picture of the issue of suicide in our state.
Suicide in Missouri: Issue Briefs from the Missouri Institute of Mental Health
- Brief No. 1 - Where We Stand (December 2012)
- Brief No. 2 - Older Adults 65 and Over (December 2012)
- Brief No. 3 - Youth Suicide (Coming Soon)
- Brief No. 4 - CALM Training (Coming Soon)
- Missouri College Students and Suicide (February 2013, Partners in Prevention)
- Suicide in Missouri (January 2012, Missouri Behavioral Health Epidemiology Workgroup)
- Missouri Data Fact Sheet (September 2008, Suicide Prevention Resource Center)
- Are Negative Behaviors a Cry for Help? Results from the 2010 Missouri Student Survey(Missouri Institute of Mental Health) Poster presented at the 44th American Association of Suicidology Annual Conference, April 15, 2011.
- How to Enhance Suicide Gatekeeper Trainings for Youth: Reducing Barriers to Help Seeking (Missouri Institute of Mental Health) Poster Presented at the American Evaluation Association Annual Meetings, October 24, 2012.
- Identification by Trained Gatekeepers of Youth At Risk For Suicide (ICF International and SAMHSA) Poster Presented at the American Public Health Association’s 140th Annual Meeting, October, 28, 2012. For more information see: Abstract
Other Sources of Data:
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services:
- American Association of Suicidology - Provides annual data sheets with a ranking of all states
- Missouri's Child Fatality Review Program (CFRP) Annual Reports
- CDC's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS™)
- Missouri Student Survey
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS)
News from Around the State
Newsletters focused on suicide prevention from the Center for Injury and Violence Prevention at Washington University’s Brown School:
- Taking Flight - Issue 8: Fall 2012 (Military Service Members and Veterans)
- Taking Flight - Issue 3: Winter 2011 (Suicide Prevention)