Suicide Prevention: Upcoming Events
- May 1- 11: Walk Across Missouri (Statewide) - Mark Norwine continues his 15-day, 200-mile Walk Across Missouri to help raise awareness regarding mental health. Read his blog or visit the documentary film website for more info.
- May 2-3: Dialectical Behavior Therapy - Making it Work in Our Communities (Ferguson, MO) - This basic two-day Introduction training is offered at no cost by DMH in collaboration with STL Community College at Florissant Valley-Counseling Department.
- May 5-11: Children's Mental Health Week (Statewide)
- May 8: Suicide and Domestic Violence (Webinar, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM CST) - Offered as part of the Injury Control Research Center for Suicide Prevention (ICRC-S) webinar series. A follow-up conference call will be held on May 15th.
- May 8: Sudden Death: Psychiatric and Suicide Risks Among Student Athletes (Webinar, 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM CDT) - Presented by Well Aware. Sponsored by the Wyoming Department of Health and the Prevention Management Organization of Wyoming.
- May 11: Kids Walking for Kids - A Celebration of Hope (St. Louis, MO) - Annual event hosted by CHADS Coalition for Mental Health. Proceeds from this event will fund child and adolescent suicide prevention and grants for research on behavioral health at leading medical schools.
- May 11: Greater Kansas City Out of the Darkness Campus Walk (Raymore, MO) - Proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- May 12-18: National Prevention Week (Nationwide) - This year, the theme for National Prevention Week is: “Your voice. Your choice. Make a difference.” Building on this theme, SAMHSA is initiating the “I Choose” Project, a way for you to make a difference, be a positive example, and inspire others. The prevention of suicide is the theme for Thursday, May 16th.
- May 23: Mental Health Webinar (Webinar, 11:00 am - 11:45 am, CST) - The "Who's Leading the Leading Health Indicators?" webinar series raises awareness of the Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators (LHIs). This webinar will focus on how one Tribe has been successful in using data to drive decisions and interventions for addressing youth suicide.
- May 24-27: USSSA Memorial Day NIT "Join the Team, Strike Out Teen Suicide" (Kansas City Metro Area) - Midwest Sports Productions (MSP) and NAMI-KC are collaborating together to increase awareness and raise funds to support NAMI-KC.
- May 29-30: 2013 Spring Training Institute (Osage Beach, MO) - The SPI provides the opportunity for participants to learn about the latest research in the mental health field regarding evidenced-based treatment, medications and other issues.
- June 1-13: 40 Hour Mid-Missouri Crisis Line Volunteer Training (Columbia, MO) - Volunteering with the Mid-Missouri Crisis Line is an excellent experience to list on educational and employment applications.
- June 11: Alcohol & Suicide: Effectively Addressing These Two Inextricably Linked Health Issues (Webinar, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM CDT) - Well Aware hosts this live 60-minute Q&A with Ken Conner, PsyD, MPA.
- June 12-13: 6th National Suicide and the Black Church Conference (Memphis, TN) - Hosted by the Healing Center.
- June 13-14: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) workshop (St. Roberts, MO) - Check back for registration details. For additional information about the two-day ASIST workshop click here.
- June 15: Fourth annual Stuart Eiken Memorial 5K run (Columbia, MO) - Save the date!
- June 17-18: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) workshop (Fulton, MO) - Check back for registration details. For additional information about the two-day ASIST workshop click here.
- June 18-19: 2013 Urban Prevention Conference (Kansas City, MO) - The Behavioral Health track will include several sessions related to suicide.
- June 19-20: Psychological Autopsy Certification Training (Jefferson City, MO) - The MSPP is offering discounted registration rates for Missouri residents attending this two-day program presented by the American Association of Suicidology. For additional information about the PACT program click here. Non-Missouri residents should use the registration form available on the AAS website.
- June 20-21: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) workshop (Arnold, MO) - Check back for registration details. For additional information about the two-day ASIST workshop click here.
- June 22: "Ride to Silence the Stigma” Motorcycle Ride (Kansas City) - A fund raiser for the Greater Kansas City Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- June 27: Everyone Plays a Role in Suicide Prevention: Turning Strategy Into Action (Nationwide) - Save the date! In conjunction with a live event taking place in Chicago, IL that morning, 1,000 communities across the nation will participate by hosting a local "echo event" to help kick off "75 Days of Action" leading up to National Suicide Awareness Day on Sept. 10th.
- July 15-16: - 8th Annual Show Me You Care About Suicide Prevention Conference (Columbia, MO) - SAVE THE DATE! The 2013 conference is being co-sponsored by Partners in Prevention/MU Wellness Resource Center. Check back for details.
- July 18-19: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) workshop (St. Louis, MO) - Check back for registration details. For additional information about the two-day ASIST workshop click here.
- August 18-20: Real Voices-Real Choices Conference (Osage Beach, MO)
- August 23: Annual “Illuminate the Darkness” 5K Suicide Prevention Run/Walk (Springfield, MO) Hosted by NAMI Southwest Missouri.
- August 29-30: June 17-18: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) workshop (Fulton, MO) - Check back for registration details. For additional information about the two-day ASIST workshop click here.
- September 8-14: National Suicide Prevention Week (Nationwide)
- September 8: The 10th Annual Remembrance Walk (Kansas City, MO) is for those who have lost a loved one to suicide or other traumatic death. The walk will be held at Loose Park and is sponsored by Suicide Awareness Survivor Support (SASS).
- September 10: World Suicide Prevention Day (International)
- September 13: Third Annual Suicide Awareness and Prevention Conference (Crystal City, MO) - Hosted by Mercy Hospital Jefferson (formally JRMC). Check back for details.
- September 15: Fulton Out of the Darkness Community Walk (Fulton, MO) - Proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- September 22: St. Louis Out of the Darkness Community Walk (St. Louis, MO) - Proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- September 28: Warrensburg Out of the Darkness Community Walk (Warrensburg, MO) - Proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- October 1-3: 2013 Safe Schools & Colleges Conference (Osage Beach, MO) - Save the date and check back for details.
- October 5: Greater Kansas City Out of the Darkness Community Walk (Kansas City, MO) - Proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- October 10: World Mental Health Day (International)
- October 10: National Depression Screening Day (Nationwide) - Learn more about depression, find a screening site near you, or organize your own screening.
- October 12: Cape Girardeau Out of the Darkness Community Walk (Cape Girardeau, MO) - Proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- October 12-14: National Military Suicide Survivor Seminar and Good Grief Camp for Young Survivors (Colorado Springs, Colorado) - This annual event is hosted by TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors, Inc)
- November 16: International Survivors of Suicide Day will connect survivors from around the world through a live national satellite and Internet broadcast, allowing survivors to share their experiences of loss. Email the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention if you interested in organizing a local conference.
- November 21: Children’s Grief Awareness Day (Nationwide)
- December 5-7: Missouri Coordinated School Health Coalition Annual Conference (Lake Ozark, MO)
- December 8: Annual Worldwide Candle Lighting Event (Worldwide) Hosted by the Compassionate Friends to remember and honor the memories of all children.
Find or Schedule Other Events:
- Those in one of the five Resource Centers areas are encouraged to contact your regional coordinator to schedule local training.
- Looking to get involved in local efforts? This list of local Coalitions included meeting and contact information.
- Visit the Mental Health First Aid website for a list of upcoming MHFA workshops being offered in Missouri. Please contact the instructor for registration details.
Chemical Suicide: Information for Emergency Responders (Various dates and locations) - The Missouri Emergency Response Commission (MERC) is offering this 3 hour POST approved course throughout the state.
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention offers regular "Drop-In" Conference Calls for facilitators of local suicide bereavement support groups. For a schedule and details, please visit the AFSP website.
Support Groups for Survivors
For the most up-to-date information on meeting times of support groups in Missouri please phone or email the contact person listed on the following two web sites:
Click here to suggest other events to be included on this page.
Unless otherwise noted events listed on this page are NOT sponsored by the Department of Mental Health.