Department of Mental Health Housing
The Department of Mental Health can provide housing assistance and housing resources to persons and families with disabilities and special needs.
Reentry Housing Resources Map
The Department of Mental Health, Department of Corrections and the Governor's Committee to End Homelessness, have collaborated to create an interactive map of housing resources in Missouri for people reentering the community from incarceration. The map is an ongoing process to collect information about every program in Missouri that provides permanent housing, transitional housing, and emergency shelter, and so can also be used to locate resources for persons experiencing homelessness generally.
The map's search function is county-based. To find resources, choose the appropriate county by clicking on the map or choose a county from the drop-down menu in the lower left corner. Choosing a county shows all the resources entered for that county. You can limit the results to programs most appropriate to your needs by clicking boxes in the list on the right. For instance, limit your search to programs for women only by clicking the "Serves females only" box.
Any agency with appropriate programs located in Missouri can add their program information to the map, subject to editing and approval by DMH Housing staff. Agencies with multiple programs of different types should make separate entries for each program, e.g., one entry for a permanent housing program and one for a transitional housing program; or one for a shelter serving only men and another for a shelter serving only families. Click the link below to enter program information:
Click the link below to use the Reentry Housing Resources Map:
The DMH Housing Unit coordinates both state and federal funds to provide direct rental assistance to individuals and families with mental illness, substance use disorders, developmental disabilities, and HIV/AIDS who are homeless or experiencing housing crisis. The DMH Housing Unit believes that housing is a key to helping Missourians with disabilities and their families attain self-determination and independent living.
Housing Unit Primary Programs
- Shelter Plus Care
- Federally funded permanent supportive housing through rental assistance for individuals and families with a disabled head of household who are homeless per HUD’s definition.
- Rental Assistance Program (RAP)
- State-funded housing assistance for individuals and families who are connected with DMH Behavioral Health support services (mental illness or substance use disorders). RAP can provide long-term transitional rental assistance for those in housing crisis as a bridge to permanent housing; and one-time assistance to prevent eviction, assist with move-in costs, or pay off rent or utilities in arrears.
- Housing Development
- Expert zero-cost technical assistance to agencies seeking to develop affordable and/or supportive housing for people with and without disabilities anywhere within the State of Missouri.
- DMH Shelter Plus Care Eligibility Packet
- Rental Assistance Program
- DMH Housing Manual
- Homeless Missourians Information System Privacy and Security Notice
- Resources for Finding Affordable Housing
- "Key Issues in Developing Supported Housing" Webinar
The housing mission of the Division of Developmental Disabilities is to develop quality, affordable, accessible housing for people with disabilities in safe locations where they can access support services, transportation, employment, and recreation throughout their lifespan. The Division of Developmental Disabilities believes there is an integral link between self-determination and housing, and strives to achieve that end through its team of Community Living Coordinators, partnerships with local stakeholders, and the use of accessible housing tools and resources.
- It's My Home: A Guide to Understand the Division of Developmental Disabilities' Housing Initiative with added information from the Final HCBS Rule
- Missouri Inclusive Housing Development Corporation
- Housing Resources Tip Sheet
- Community Living Coordinator Brochure
- Community Living Coordinator Contact Information