Supports for the Future
Building the Foundation for Individualized Supports
Division of Developmental Disabilities hosted a two day workshop in Columbia for over 230 people. Attendees included individuals with disabilities, family members, provider organizations, Senate Bill 40 Boards and advocates to discuss the future of supports in Missouri. Presenters from Missouri provided information about self-determination efforts currently happening across the state. International speakers Patti Scott and David Hasbury from Neighbours, Inc. facilitated a discussion of a future worth creating based on lessons learned and success of their organization. Neighbours, Inc. based in New Jersey is an innovative non-profit organization with almost 20 years of experience created specifically to support people with disabilities and their families in choosing and designing a life for themselves within their local towns and neighborhoods.
Those attending the conference created a plan for the future of supports in Missouri by discussing ‘What is important?’, ‘What needs to be in place?’ and a ‘Can do list’. Mr. Hasbury used graphic illustrations to capture participants thoughts and "see what we are saying", getting everyone on the same page and positioned for action. The workshop is part of a series of steps to move forward the Division’s mission, ‘Improving lives through supports and services that foster self-determination’.
Supports for the Future: Building the Foundation for Individualized Supports September 23 & 24, 2013
- Workshop Agenda
- “Self-Determination and Individualized Supports: What is Happening in Missouri?” PowerPoint
- Missouri Self-Determination Resource Page
- “Investing in a Future Worth Creating” – Patti Scott and David Hasbury PowerPoint
Engage in dialogue that begins to develop a shared understanding of:
- Neighbours Inc.: Personal Advisor Job Description
- Neighbours Inc.: Circles page (unavailable at this time)
- Neighbours Inc., New Jersey
- Neighbours International
- Missouri Self-Determination Association (MODSA)
- We Need Each OtherDave Hasbury’s Blog post inspired by trip to Missouri