Self-Determination, is based on five principles:
- Freedom: Individuals will live a meaningful life in the community and make choices about their lives.
- Authority: Individuals will have meaningful control over a set amount of dollars that can be used to build the supports they need by purchasing only what is needed and paying for what is received.
- Support: Individuals will have support to organize resources in ways that are life enhancing and assist them in reaching their dreams and goals. Individuals have a circle of supports made up of family, friends, and both paid and unpaid supports.
- Responsibility: Individuals assume responsibility for giving back to their community, for seeking employment, and for developing unique gifts and talents.
- Confirmation: Individuals are recognized for who they are and what they can contribute, having a leadership role in developing policies that affect their lives and helping others reach success.
Creating Better Lives for Missourians with Developmental Disabilities
Self-Directed Supports (SDS) is an option for service delivery for individuals with developmental disabilities who wish to exercise more choice, control and authority over their supports. SDS is founded on the principles of Self-Determination. Under this option, the individual or their designated representative has employment and budget authority. This authority allows individuals and families to hire, train and schedule their own employees, utilizing an individualized budget. Currently there are 1,753 people employed in this program.
Employment: The Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities along with our partners, including persons with developmental disabilities, community provider agencies, and other state and local funding agencies is committed to enhancing community employment options for persons with developmental disabilities. The Division believes that all individuals with developmental disabilities who want to work CAN work and contribute to their community when given opportunity, training, and supports that build on an individual’s strengths. Our expectation is that everyone of working age and those supporting them should consider work as their first option as fully participating members of their community, and should build on career planning and engage in work that makes sense to them.
Community Living and Accessible Housing: The mission of the Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities (DD) Housing initiative is to develop quality, affordable, accessible housing for people with disabilities in safe locations where they can access support services, transportation, employment, and recreation throughout their lifespan.
Family Support: Supporting families is one of the five focus areas and priorities of the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DD). Family Support services help strengthen the family's capactiy to support their familiy member(s) who have a developmental disability in the home and in the community. Families play an essential role in the creation of services and supports individuals need and utilize. Families are generally the primary source of support for many people across their life span. The Division recognizes the role families have in supporting their famliy members to have self determination and to achive a quality life.
Conference and Workshop Information
A workshop for people with disabilities, family members and support organizations. Self-Determination means that people with disabilities are supported to be the primary decision makers in their lives, pursue what is important to them, and have a meaningful role in the community. Learn about the self-determination and individualized support practices that are currently happening in Missouri and learn from the efforts of Neighbours, Inc.
The Division of Developmental Disabilities Launches the "Future is Now" Conference Website 2012
The page features pictures of the conference as well as the following for each presentation:
- a video of each presentation,
- the powerpoint for each presentation
- David Hasbury's graphic illustration of each presentation
- A flyer for each presentation.
- Visit this page If you missed the conference, or want to review a session that you enjoyed!
Tools and Resources