Do you want to connect with a individual with a disability for expertise in navigating the services system, obtain training and/or mentoring?
As a part of its system re-design, the Division of Developmental Disabilities created an advocacy specialist position in each regional office. This move was consistent with the Division's vision of increased participation of individuals and families in the service delivery system. Advocacy Specialists provide support to individuals and families, local community organizations, DMH and provider staff. Supports and services may include:
- Education about the rights, responsibilities and privileges as a Missourian with a disability.
- Assistance with confidence building, self determination and self advocacy.
- Training on self directed services, abuse and neglect, relationships, professionalism 101 (etc).
- IEP conflict resolution.
- Working with People First chapters and other advocacy organizations.
- Promoting awareness to community members, employers, service providers and schools.
In the News!
Tammy Courter (Albany) : "I Am" Commercial
Lorie Perdieu (Kansas City): Accessible House (NBC - Action News)
Jeff Johnson (Central Missouri): People First Language Presentation for Journalism Students!