About UsCottonwood Residential Treatment Center is a cooperative venture between the Missouri Department of Mental Health and Southeast Missouri State University. Cottonwood facilities are located on the University campus and are leased from the University. Cottonwood provides employment and field experiences for many of the University’s students. Operation of the program and staffing are provided by the Department of Mental Health. Services are funded through the Department of Mental Health, Federal Reimbursements, and client fees.
To be recognized as a provider of excellent mental health services to Missouri's children and families.
To care for children and adolescents in a safe nurturing environment with progressive treatment that encourages the development of healthy relationships with others.
- We value children, who are first and foremost in the work we do.
- We value the importance of teaching children to believe in themselves and their capabilities.
- We value education and helping children develop the skills to succeed.
- We value the importance of helping children and their families have healthy relationships.
- We value our employees, who work daily to improve the lives of the children served.
- We value the diversity of our employees and that of the population we serve.
- We value the community and its support in helping us work toward a better future.
- We value the Missouri taxpayers, who entrust us to serve our mission in the most cost-effective manner possible.
In addition to the Administration Building, Cottonwood consists of a classroom building and 4 cottages. Each cottage has a large living area, kitchen, dining area, bedrooms, bathrooms, and laundry. The layout maximizes comfort, safety, and supervision. The cottage environment allows opportunities to learn independent living and self-help skills. Cottage life is designed to promote healthy experiences during growth and development.