Center for Behavioral Medicine
Center for Behavioral Medicine (CBM) formerly Western Missouri Mental Health Center is an agency for the Department of Mental Health. The facility is located on Hospital Hill in the heart of Kansas City and provides comprehensive psychiatric care to patients from Kansas City and the seven surrounding counties. CBM serves as the University of Missouri-Kansas City's Department of Psychiatry, fulfilling academic and research needs. In January 2004 WMMHC moved into a new 230,000 square foot, 5-story facility.
CBM currently operates 65 adult acute beds and 68 adult residential beds. CBM operates five group homes and an apartment program in the community.
In June, 2009, Truman Medical Center began operating the emergency department and 50 adult inpatient beds. The remaining 65 inpatient beds, continue operations, but under a new organizational name, the Center for Behavioral Medicine.
The Center serves the Greater Kansas City, Missouri area and surrounding counties with intensive and specialized behavioral health treatments and services for individuals who require an additional thirty to ninety days of hospital care after a short-term hospital stay at another inpatient setting. The Center focuses its new services on bridging the gap between physical and behavioral medicine with an emphasis on wellness. Students, residents, and post-doctoral fellows are trained at the Center to deliver integrated physical and behavioral health care. The Center provides a therapeutic approach to recovery that assists individuals to progress regardless of their limitations or symptoms. This approach incorporates evidence based treatment models including Illness Management and Recovery (IM&R), and dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT).
An overview of the Center’s services:
- Sixty Five Joint Commission accredited and CMS certified hospital beds
- Sixty-eight Joint Commission accredited residential group home beds
- Staffed by faculty physicians, psychologists, nurses, clinical pharmacists, social workers, psychiatric technicians and rehabilitation therapists.
- Projected length of stay of 90 to 180 days.
- Admissions are through referral to the Admission Coordinator and/or Medical Director with pre-arranged time for admission.
- Admissions are limited to patients who are in need of aggressive inpatient treatment and services after a short-term psychiatric inpatient hospital trial at another facility.
- The Center’s admission and aftercare planning involves the patient/guardian, families and the Missouri State Department of Mental Health system of community mental health centers.
If you have questions about the Center’s mission or services please email your questions to: [email protected]
Post Office address:Center for Behavioral Medicine
Health Sciences Center for Psychiatry
1000 East 24th Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64108
Phone (816) 512-7000